The Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA) was established by Act of Parliament No. 11 of 1995, and started its operations on 1st July 1996. In carrying out its statutory functions, TRA is regulated by law, and is responsible for administering impartially various taxes of the Central Government
A Taxpayer Identification Number (TIN) is an identification number used by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) in the administration of tax laws.
In order to Get Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Tanzania Follow the following procedure
The application for a TIN number is free of charge. The validity of a TIN number is forever
To Apply Online Follow the Following Procedures
- Visit Tanzania Revenue Authority (TIN) online tax payer registration, to make the registration.
- Click Individual taxpayer registration or Company registration depending on the type of TIN you want to register.
- Select the option to confirm that you are a first time registration or NO for returning registrants.
- Tick the Box corresponding to the category you fall under for example a Sole Proprietor / Individual or Business and click on Continue.
- Select your activity (why you require a TIN Number) for example for Motor Vehicle Registration, Driver License, Business, Investment, Property Rates or any other of your choice and hit Continue.
- Fill in all the required fields of ‘ITX101.01.B’. These details include:
- Personal Details
- Contact addresses
- Physical and postal address
- Occupation is Applicants occupation.
- Nationality/ Place of birth
- Marital status/ spouse details.
- Reason for registrations
- Income bracket
- Work Permit number to be provided for Non-Residents who are on a work visa.
- Provide details for Bank Account
- Business Details .This section must be completed for all applications by sole traders, partners, beneficiaries and investment income earners (but not salary/wage earners, directors or pensioners)
- Employer Details
- Details of Partners/Directors and details of other Related Companies
- Once you have filled in all the required fields, Click the Submit button
- You will receive a success message saying your that your submission was successful and has been sent for approval by a revenue officer, you will be notified when your registration has been completed
- It should take a day or two but not to get your TIN number.
- In all cases, your TIN Certificate must be picked up from your nearest TRA Office.
How to Apply TIN Number In-Person
TIN registration in Tanzania involves the following four steps
Step 1: Visit any TRA offices across the country to begin the application
You will be provided with either of the following application forms depending on the type of TIN you want to register.
- Individual tax registration Form
- Business or Organization tax registration form
Step 2: Fill and submit the individual/organization tax registration form
Complete the application form and attach the required documents before submission to the revenue officer.
The following documents need to be attached to the application before submission.
- A copy of a valid National Identity card
- A copy of a valid passport
- A copy of a valid driver’s license
- A copy of a legitimate voter’s identification card
- Certificate or letters of business registration
- Article of Association.
- Certificate of Registration
Step 3: Bio-metric finger print and photo shoot
Your finger prints and passport photograph will be then be captured TRA officers for processing to begin
Step 4: Collection of TIN number
- Once the application for Tax Identification Number is made and submitted, the applicant will wait for not more than one day for individuals and 2 days for companies. The TIN can after be collected from the designated office after the 2 days.
- Taxpayer Identification Number can be obtained by all the persons liable to pay taxes to the Tanzanian government. These include employees, employers, organizations, sole-proprietors et cetera.
- Any Tanzanian above the age of 18 years.
According to the TRA, the following people are required to register for a Tax Identification Number
- Anyone who earns taxable income in Tanzania
- Anyone who wishes to clear goods in commercial quantities from any port or factory
- Anyone who wishes to register a title or other documentation relating to land
- Anyone who requires a Tax Clearance Certificate
- Anyone who wishes to register a business/company at the Registrar Generals Department
- Anyone who requires a Permit from a District Assembly
- Anyone who intends to receive a payment from the Controller and Accountant-Generals Department