Ifakara Health Institute (IHI) is a leading research organization in Africa with a strong track record
in developing, testing and validating innovations for health. Driven by a core strategic mandate for
research, training and services, the Institute’s work now spans a wide spectrum, covering biomedical
and ecological sciences, intervention studies, health-systems research and policy translation.
IHI is looking for a qualified and experienced individual to take the position of Laboratory Technician in
Immunology Lab for Ebola Vaccine Trial (EBL08) .
Duties and Responsibilities
• Will support all scientific functions in the immunology laboratory, including
planning, reviewing, documenting and reporting matters related to study
specific immunology activities.
• He/She will coordinate linkage between laboratories, clinical team and project
• To make sure that all safety procedures are adhered to when collecting,
labelling and storing all laboratory specimens.
• To ensure that laboratory data including laboratory findings are recorded as per
protocol and stored in appropriate box files.
• Archive all the study samples following laboratory information management
system for easy tracing.
• Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the PI
• Perform routine tests in assigned area of the laboratory as per current SOP.
• To perform isolation of peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC), separation
and storage of serum and plasma.
• To assist in hematological and clinical chemistry sample analysis.
• To document and report protocol deviations and implement CAPA for the
• To perform malaria antibody ELISA, Intracellular cytokine staining, and ELISPOT
• To participate in scientific discussions and project related meetings, and
maintaining inventories for stored samples, reagents and lab materials.
Qualification and Experience
• Bachelor Degree in Medical laboratory sciences /biotechnology/immunology or other relevant
experience provided they demonstrate the following skills in
• Previous experience or familiarity with immunological assays such as ELISA, ELISPOT, ICS,
PMBC isolation, serum/plasma separation
Skills and Competencies
• Immunological laboratory analysis.
• Ability to follow and adhere to existing standard operating procedures (SOPs).
• Excellent interpersonal skills to deal effectively with clinicians, study participants,
administrators, auxiliary personnel, regulators, monitors and sponsors.
• Ability to multi-task.
• Able to work independently following a brief period of specific technical training.
Experience with computer programs at least intermediate level with Microsoft Office products.
• Fine manual dexterity for repetitive task.
• Excellence in using Microsoft office ( Word, excel, power point and access
• Knowledge of good clinical practice, GCLP and regulatory procedures pertaining to clinical trials
in Tanzania and globally.
• Strong organizational skills.
• Excellent customer service and communication skills and Able to work flexible hours including
• Hard Working
An attractive and competitive remuneration package will be offered to successful candidates as per IHI
IHI is an equal opportunity employer. We prohibit intentional biases or discrimination and harassment
of any kind at the work place and during recruitment. All employment decisions are based solely on job
requirements and individual qualifications, and our recruitment process is governed by the labour laws
Mode of Application
All candidates who meet the above job requirements should send their application letters together with
their detailed curriculum vitae (CVs) showing contact addresses including email, telephone/cell phone
numbers and copies of academic and professional certificates to the email address below.
The deadline for this application is 17:00 on 14/12/2021. All e-mail application subject lines should
include: Laboratory Technologist – EBL08 STUDY]. Only shortlisted applicants will be
contacted for interview.
Human Resources Manager
IFAKARA HEALTH INSTITUTE
#5 Ifakara Street Plot 463 Mikocheni
P.O. Box 78,373
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania