The pediatric and youth advisor (PYA) plays a key role in the implementation of EGPAF Tanzania’s pediatric and youth focus and strategy. As part of the Regional Acceleration Strategy (RAS) team, he/she will provide technical advice to the RAS team members and hands-on at the facility level in all Pediatric and youth activities and services. He/she will be responsible for building the capacity of facility staff in Reproductive, maternal newborn, child, and adolescent health (RMNCAH), in particular in the prevention, care, treatment and support for HIV and TB services. The technical advisor will support the integration and provision of comprehensive services including ECD, nutrition, and other pediatric-specific disease management by developing innovative approaches to improve the program. He/she will act as a valuable source of information for the GoT at the regional level and implementing partners while continuously advocating for high-quality health services for HIV exposed or infected children and their families. The PYA will report to the Senior Strategic Results Manager – RAS, with a dotted reporting line for technical oversight to the Senior Technical Advisor Pediatric & Youth Services.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Leads and monitors the implementation of EGPAF Tanzania’s pediatric and adolescent strategy at the regional level
• Coordinate with technical advisors and officers of the projects, R/CHMT, and health facility staff to address the pediatric and youth issues concerned
• Work with MEL department to regularly monitor progress towards pediatric and youth targets, to strengthen the documentation and reporting of /on the pediatric and youth HIV cascade
• Work within the regional RAS teams on identifying and addressing region-specific pediatric and youth issues, especially HIV, TB and early childhood development, family planning, gender, and violence against children, while observing child safeguarding principles
• Strengthen the implementation of a child-centered and family care clinic approach across the supported councils
• Implement, monitor, evaluate and report different initiatives and client-centered service delivery models, including quality improvement methodologies
• Participate in coordination of mentorship program at different levels in the region including inter-facility learning exchange sessions
• Coordinate pediatric and youth services in the region, including AGYW, ASRH, and CECAP for adolescent girls
• Pediatric and youth capacity building of HCPs and other stakeholders
• Facilitate and participate in training to build the pediatric capacity of HCP
• Assist in addressing site-specific needs by direct didactic training and mentoring
• Coordinate and supervise the rollout and implementation of new guidelines, ARV regimens recommendations/circulars, or any changes as guided by the MOCDGEC
• Conduct site assessment to identify gaps and needs, and address them, including morbidity and mortality case reviews
• Participate in case management including attending major ward rounds as part of capacity building at Regional and District Hospitals
Required Qualifications Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• MD, with more than 5years of experience working in HIV, TB, and AYFHS related programing, managing, and or supporting the implementation of programs with a focus on pediatrics and youth
• MMED Pediatrics and child health, or Master of Public Health degree or other advance medical or relevant degree is an added advantage
• At least 3 years of proven experience in program management and implementation of pediatric HIV/AIDS programming, including supervision and reporting.
• Possess excellent interpersonal skills to deal successfully with existing stakeholders, team members, potential partners, and government officials
• Experience in the clinical management of pediatric and adolescent HIV/AIDS and TB, ASRH
• Experience in project management
• Excellent analytical, oral, and written communication skills.
Work Hours: 8
Experience in Months: 36
Level of Education: Bachelor Degree
Job application procedure
EGPAF is an equal opportunities employer and the position is open to all. Qualified candidates should submit a CV, cover letter and relevant certificates explaining how the experience detailed in the CV will contribute to the requirements of the position and references to EGPAF.
Submissions to be sent to:
Senior Human Resources Manager,
Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric Aids Foundation,
P.O. BOX 1628,
395 Ursino Park, Mwai Kibaki Road, Morocco.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania.